Sunday, February 24, 2008

Where Faith has brought No Virtue, I have come to Destroy

It started with the same old innocent bus ride home from school in 2000. I was sitting a hot crowded bus seat, the warmth of peoples breath making me sweat profusely. It was already hot enough out, this was making it worse. I struck up a conversation with a kid who's name was kyle. I thought he was weird but he had said that he wanted to start a band and needed a singer. He had just started playing the guitar and wanted to find some people to jam with. I told him I could sing and would love to be part of something like that. It had been my dream to start a band and play shows in the hope that we'd get famous and I'd be rich. We never had a ton of money but we wanted butt loads. This dream has since evolved into the dream that I'm living right now which is to have as much fun with my friends as possible while making music that is full of natural expression and honesty. So, in hopes of both our dreams coming true, I went to his house on a whim and started singing. Seems I wasn't as good as I seemed. I was tone deaf. Him and his mom, for the next month, sat down with me on a piano and we practiced hitting notes until I got it. We continued jamming on and off with our friend jay who played drums down the street. Jay was funny and loved getting in trouble. He was a good kid though and just loved having fun. I loved him for that, unfortunately Jay was taken from us too early, but I must move on or else I will probably wind up getting emotional. Mine and Kyle's friendship grew and soon we started another band with Scott Hillier, Brian Hanlon, and Adam Yourghling. It was a pop punk band that did mostly covers and played a few shows in 2001. To be honest I don't even remember the name. Anyway, that went on for a few months and soon we realized how much we blew and didn't want to do it anymore. It was kind of ruining our friendships and all we wanted to do was have fun. So we put an end to it. To be honest, I think we were all really bummed that it didn't work but we wanted to be friends more then a band.
During my Junior year of highschool, I started a hardcore/scream/rock band thing called Beneath Dead Eyes. Kyle wasn't in that band but it sucked just as bad as our other band but I was having fun at the expense of mine and Kyle's friendship. Anyway, I started hanging out with Jordan Miller, Jeremy Pharo, Adam Yourghling, and another guitarist who's name slips my mind. We played a few shows and really just became disinterested in the band and decided to part ways. Towards the end of my bands short lived career, Kyle started to jam with Dan Champa. They invited me to play for them and I would be lieing if I said I wasn't reluctant to try it out. I was really sick of being in bands that blew ass and wanted to do something with dedicated guys. But I sucked it up and on kyle's recommendation of how awesome it would be, I tried out.


To Be Continued

No comments: