Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Stalks

"A Ship Close to Harbor is safe, but ships were not made for this purpose."

In my heart, it is what it is and to those who wait, good things are bound to happen. A mantra that sits in my head. I want to meet someone that I can wake up to every morning and say, with every ounce of honesty in my heart, "I love you."



I grew up in a small town, that grew exponentially, outward and upward, forward and backward, where trees outnumbered the money in your pocket, and wealth was measured in grains of sand on an abandoned winter beach. We grew and our friends became withering stalks, and we watched them wave in the breeze, Dancing to the rhythm, bundling together in the moon lit marshes, a scene I hadn't seen since I was a child, when my father and I watched a storm roll in off the inlet. They left as quickly as they came, rotting into the earth, becoming mud and trampled beneath loud machines, slaves to a grind, men and women with no futures, to become chained to fruitless marriages at young ages, they want to be in love, so they make believe they are in love. they are resentful children whose parents "messed them up," they pray for their better years, so they buy big houses, and loud cars, and smoke pipes, and drink every night to dull the pain, just because they want to be stalks again, so they could measure happiness in grains of sand. Arise Colossus to a new day.


The constant is the dull stabbing feeling in my side, puncturing my lungs. The fluttering is blood loss.

No comments: