Thursday, July 24, 2008

In a small hole, tucked deep into the pine barrens, beneath a rotted out oak....

Baseball camp. It's been keeping me sane as of right now. I just love working with kids and teaching them about the game I love. I've been attempting to work on this paper but keep getting sidetracked. I've been trying to read some of the book that a coaching friend of mine bought me just to say thanks for helping them with the American Legion Baseball team they put together. It's called three nights in august and is an amazing story of strategy used by the great Tony LaRusa of the Cardinals. It really is interesting.

Last night was amazing though. For the first time in four years, since graduating high school, I played in my first competitive baseball game at third base. I coach an American Legion Baseball team and we only had eight kids show up in Jackson. It seemed that all was lost but luckily the coach of their team said I could play third but I just couldn't hit. So I played, with no cup, trying to protect the family heirlooms. I had five put outs and started two double plays. It was just a rush. I don't know if I put the nails in the coffin for my lust to play the game yesterday or opened a new can of worms. It felt so good to be there, to be part of a team, and to play hard. I love to work physically. It keeps me comfortable. To sweat is to feel joy. Haha.

Today was also pretty awesome. I went to get food with the baseball coaches I work with at the baseball camp to celebrate the fact that we finished the entire three weeks. When we got there and walked in I realized that the hostess was a old friend of mine who I haven't seen in ages. She looked awesome and was the same as I remember her. I had such a crush on her from seventh grade until, well I guess now. I've always just enjoyed her company. I talked to her for what seemed like a few minutes but was really a few hours and got made fun of by the guys for kind of ditching them. They were alright with it though. I was supposed to go out tonight but I'm too tired.

P.S. Missy rules. She keeps me sane. I analyze everything too much. Sometimes things are just simple.

No comments: