Thursday, January 10, 2008

What is our generations great frontier?

I stopped in the middle of my desert and dropped to my knees. Was I giving up? Far from it. I was merely resting my soul. My feet felt fine and could have moved on for miles without feeling tired. They're far too calloused to know pain, but I stopped to soothe my wandering mind and my tired soul. As sweat dripped from my brow, I began to feel the blood rush to my head and things started spinning. I sat upright and took deep breathes of dry warm air and opened my mouth as if tasting the wind. Grinding my teeth together as if i was chewing it but tasting only the grit that had been blown up onto my tongue. My soul began thinking out loud while my body listened, as was often the case at that point in my life. My soul said to body,"Is life a dream that too many restless bodies have traveled? Should I die here? should I let go of you friend and search for better?" My body replies coolly but my heart and mind race to keep their composure. They can't believe the injustice that is about to be carried out by my soul. My body collects the power of all limbs and begins to speak, "If you feel that you must find a better path, if you must see a world without us, you may go. I will bury myself here with heart and mind - waist deep in sand - and I will wait three days for you to return. If by that time you are content with what you've found and have decided not to return, we will lye down and die leaving you to your adventure." With a nod, my soul was off while body, heart, and mind began to dig. Two hours later, waste deep in sand, we felt the warm sun beat down upon us. Tearing at the flesh that covered us. We waited three days there. Hopefully awaiting soul's return. With no water, no kind words, not one ounce of hope we remained buried and wasting. We spent long nights cold and shivering but with each other, buried up to our wastes, salvaging every scrap of fresh air that we could. After three days, soul returned. Unhappy with what he had discovered, he began to speak, "Everything on this earth has been corrupted by man, we have no great frontier to discover or explore. We might as well die here together." Body quickly replied to soul, "There is one frontier that man has yet to taint soul, do you know what that is?" Soul was elated, short of breathe he asked, "Where is it? We must go there?" As cool as the air that swirled through my hair, body replied, "This great frontier that man has yet to corrupt as long as we don't allow it is within this body, deep inside the depths of mind, beneath the steady beats of the heart and held in each and every person's soul. Our great frontier is ourselves." And forward they walked.

1 comment:

Alyssa Woodii said...

Did you write this? - If so, lol this is guna sound weird but the way you write is the same kind of the same "style" that I write in. I can't explain it lol